Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 8

What I've loves so far about The One New Thing Project is that sometimes people recommend things for me to do, and sometimes it happens on accident.

On Day 8, I got on the wrong bus accidentally and almost ended up in Estacada.  

Here's how it happened:  I've had a long couple of weeks.  I have a real estate transaction that's in constant limbo and had just gotten off the phone with my client.  My brain was friend.  I had an exhausting day at the office, then had a difficult conversation at the bus stop.  The 35 was coming to the stop, and the 99 Express, my bus, was right behind.  I put my phone in the bag and dug around for my bus pass, then got in line with the masses.

The truly extraordinary thing about getting on the wrong bus is that I didn't even notice for almost 30 minutes.  But the conversation about why and how people distract themselves on the bus is too long to have here.

The most humiliating part was knowing that I needed to interrupt someone and try to figure out exactly where the hell I was headed.

Me:  Excuse me sir, I'm embarrassed that I have to ask this, but what bus are we on?
Him: The 35.
Me: Oh, hrm.  And this bus goes to Estacada?
Him: Yes.
Me:  Oh my.  I'm supposed to be on the 99.
Him: Well, you better get off at the Town Center, or you'll be headed directly into Deliverance.
Me:  Indeed!  Thanks for the heads up.

And then everyone around me broke into conversation about Tri-Met adventures, and how they've all ended up on the wrong bus at some point.  I like to think that my mistake brought people together.

When Ty arrived at the Town Center to pick me up, he asked me if I subconsciously needed something at the mall.  I told him no, but then realized yes.  Yes, I DID need something.  Plus, we ran into Shawn, which is always nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment