Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 2

I decided since Day 1 was well thought out that I would just let Day 2 happen organically.  I wanted to see what adventures I would find, and I assure you, everyone had a suggestion.  I can't wait for stupid people trick day because I have some extraordinarily talented coworkers.

I was starting to feel the pressure around 1pm when I still hadn't done anything new.  In fact, I didn't even know what I was going to do when a rather unusual opportunity happened upon me.

I went through someone else's bag.

Before you cringe, let me explain that I had the best intentions.  A prospective student at my place of employment had left their bag a week ago and was going to pick it up the following day.  He hasn't been back to retrieve it.  I brought up the idea of going through the bag because what if he had medications in it?  What if there was something perishable?  What if it contained a head?  (Sorry, I've been itching to misplace a plot device).

So, the bag was opened, and I realized that I had never pilfered through someone else's bag.  I won't disclose what was in it, because it's kind of embarrassing to be honest.  Let's just say that at first I laughed so hard I nearly had a seizure and then the whole ride home I considered the owner of the bag and what challenges he may face.  I considered aging and mortality.  I considered what it must feel like to not have the freedom of youth.  I considered the power of adventure and I wondered if I would have looked through the bag if I wasn't desperate for a new thing.

I felt more guilt than I should have, because I really did have good intentions.  But we all know what they say about good intentions..

No comments:

Post a Comment