Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 5

I have some pretty incredible friends.  I'm certainly never at a loss for someone to spend time with, if I want company, but I thought it was time to reach outside of my solid group of friends.

On Day 5, I joined a book club.

Well, technically, I joined it a month ago, but tonight was our first meeting.  We reviewed the book Then We Came To The End by Jonathan Harris (Why can't I underline?  I want you all to know, that I know the title should be underlined).

It's a book about the weird family you make at work.  It's about office gossip.  It's about being part of the collective.  It's a warning about losing yourself in the mob mentality and about the joy of being accepted into it.

I'll be honest, I really didn't like the book.  I was afraid I would go to the club and be the only one who identified with the book, hated myself for doing it and then hated the book as a result.  
So, in summary, I was afraid that I wouldn't be part of the group for identifying with a book about being part of a group but somehow ended up being part of the group for not wanting to seem like I long to be a part of the group.  In the end, I realized I liked the book, but it could just be because I raged against the machine and refused to be assimilated.  Or it could have been the fact that we met at a wine bar and I indulged in some outstanding, albeit overpriced, Pinot Noir.  I like pretty much everything when I drink wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment